MESO: Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What educational benefits are veterans entitled to?

Q. What is an eBenefits account?

A. An eBenefit account will allow you to submit your federal veteran’s online application for benefits online. This account will also allow you to check your VA claim status, download VA Letters, review your VA medical records and verify your VA medical appointments.

Q. Do I have to verify my attendance to the VA every month?

A. Students who are using chapters 30 and 1606 have to contact the VA monthly to verify their attendance on the last day every month or after to receive their benefits. VA contact information: 1-877-823-2378 or Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependents) students will be contacted by the VA directly if verification is needed.

Q. Can I apply for financial aid if I am using my veteran education benefits?

A. Yes, you can, and we encourage all our student veterans to apply for financial aid. There are different types of financial aid to choose from including grants, loans, and scholarships. Visit the MATC Financial Aid office link for more information.

Q. How do I apply for military credit for prior learning (MCPLE)?

A. MATC recently revised the entire MCPLE program to better serve our student veterans. This program is continuously updated as more faculty and departments update their program course credit requirements. We also strongly recommend that you speak to the CPLE Specialists for specific MCPLE and program advisement/information based on your individual educational goals. MCPLE information
and application processes are available here:

Q. My car broke or I can't pay my rent. Is there additional assistance available for student veterans?

A. MATC has several emergency assistance funds that can provide small grants for MATC students experiencing an unforeseen financial emergency. Applications can be made online at: You can also visit the Veterans Resource center and speak with the Veterans Specialist (or the Office of Student Life).

Q. How do I contact my school certifying official?

A.  The MATC Military Education Support Office (MESO) is located on the main Milwaukee campus (S115). The general office number is (414) 297-8363 or and the school certifying official is Benjamin Baerbock at (414) 297-6394.

Q. What if I have questions about my VA pay?

A.  Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-442-4551. The VA also has an Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) to submit and obtain answers to specific questions as well as additional links to veteran resources:

Q. Where can a student veteran find academic and social support?

A. MESO is located on the downtown campus in Milwaukee. Staff are available on a walk-in basis. For the most efficient and accurate service, please visit the MESO.

Military Education Support Office (MESO)

Milwaukee Area Technical College
700 W. State St. Room S115A

Milwaukee, WI 53233-1443
Phone: (414) 297-8363

Fax: (414) 297-6371


Office Hours

Monday - Friday: 7:45 am – 4:00 pm

Tuesday: 9:30 am – 6:00 pm

Wednesdays & Fridays by appointments

B.  The Career Planning Center also has counselors available on a walk-in basis on all campuses. They also have counselors available who specialize in military case management.

  • Downtown Milwaukee Campus
    • Room S203
    • 414-297-6267
    • 7:45 am – 6:00 pm (Monday - Thursday)
    • 7:45 am – 4:00 pm (Friday)
  • Oak Creek Campus
  • West Allis Campus

Q. Where can a student veteran find additional social support?

A. The Veteran Student Organization (VSO) is located at the downtown campus in Milwaukee (Room M332). The VSO is staffed by students. You can also visit the Veterans Resource Center (VRC) located on the Downtown Milwaukee Campus, 3rd floor of the Student Services ("S") building in Room S314. For a list of contacts visit

Q. How can a student veteran obtain special accommodations for classroom success; ie: note taker, books on tape, testing accommodations, etc.

A. Visit your advisor to initiate the special accommodations process. The Student Accommodations Services Department staff ensures that all student veterans with disabilities receive equal access to all MATC programs, classes, and services to assist them in addressing their academic and program needs. These services are designed to increase accessibility to learning and educational success, and include: one-to-one support; adaptive/assistive technology; computers with enlarged text; note taking accommodations; sign language interpreting; audio recordings of lectures, and testing accommodations. For additional information on how to best accommodate your specific needs, visit the Accommodation page.

Q. How will a student veteran's academic standing be affected if they are dropped from a course due to personal and/or medical issues?

A. As with all students, withdrawing from a classes may affect the student’s financial aid and academic standing. Dropped classes are required to be reported to the VA. Extenuating circumstances should be discussed with your advisor or the school certifying official.

Q. Where can a student veteran go if they have issues with basic living needs (housing, food, etc.)?

A. The local resources page on the MESO site has a list of local community resources. For immediate assistance with housing and basic living needs, the Milwaukee Homeless Veterans Initiative located on 6317 W. Greenfield Ave. West Allis, WI 53214, (414) 257-4111, may be able to provide assistance.

Foundation Hall (8th floor, 414-297-8482) also provides supportive services to eligible MATC students. Services include: ResCARE Workforce Services, FoodShare (FSET) with a food pantry, Bus Passes and Child Care. Please see your advisor for additional information.

Q. What happens to a student veteran's academic standing during deployment?

A. MATC will provide a 100% refund of all tuition and fees to students who are ordered or inducted into active service in the armed forces of the United States or who are requested to work for the federal government during a national emergency or a limited national emergency. MATC will also give priority readmission to students who are ordered or inducted into active service in the armed forces of the United States or who are requested to work for the federal government during a national emergency or a limited national emergency. MATC Board policy F0512 states.

Q. Does MATC have a designated space for student veterans?

A. MATC recently established their Veterans Resource Center (VRC) located on the Downtown Campus, 3rd floor of the Student Services (“S”) building, Room S314.