General EducationAL DEVELOPMENT (GED) Testing and HSED (High School Equivalency Diploma) 

Start An Application

Have a question and want to talk to an advisor? Email us.

NOTE: Begining in 2014, new Exams tests were created and this version cancels all previous incomplete GED Exams scores. The change also affects the Spanish version of the GED Exams.

The GED 2014 Exams consists of four parts: through Language Arts (RLA), Mathematical Reasoning, Science, Social Studies, and a Civics Test.

Get Prepared for the GED/HSED

If you need preparation before taking the General Educational Development (GED) Exams, MATC offers classes to help you learn what you need to know.

Step 1: Complete the Online MATC Admissions application form.

Step 2: Make an appointment to take the Reading and Math TABE test at any of the following assessment centers. This academic screening is required for course placement.

Downtown Campus - By Appointment Only
Room M428

Mequon Campus - By Appointment Only
Room A110

Oak Creek Campus - By Appointment Only
Room A106
414-571-4711 or 414-571-4631

West Allis Campus- By Appointment Only
Room 138

Step 3: Email to make an appointment with an advisor to help you register for classes. There are also specific GED Preparation classes offered at MATC campuses during the day, evening and online. MATC also has classes at Community-Based Organizations (CBOs).

GED Orientation

After the TABE test, if you want to begin taking the GED/HSED exams, you must first complete MATC's GED/HSED Orientation and Career Planning course, CAREER-750. This workshop is a one-time session required by the State of Wisconsin. There is a cost for this workshop. It will explain what you need to know about taking the exams, completing diploma requirements, and career planning. You will receive a DPI form when you complete this workshop. Next you can contact any MATC testing center to complete a GED registration. You will need to bring your DPI form. 

Basic Skills

Basic Skills courses and classes at MATC's Adult High School can help you catch up on English, mathematics, science and social studies, no matter what your skill level. Basic Skills instruction is geared to those who do not have a high school diploma. Instruction levels range from grades 0-12.

Basic Skills subjects include reading, mathematics, science and writing.

GED en Español
Spanish-language courses are also offered at Walker's Square.

Courses are offered at all four MATC campuses and 35 Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) throughout metro Milwaukee.

Getting Started

For information about starting GED / HSED classes, contact:

Oak Creek Campus: 414-302-2649

West Allis Campus: 414-302-2649

Downtown Milwaukee Campus: 414-297-6100

Walker's Square (GED and HSED in Spanish language): 414-302-2683


The following Community-Based Organizations offer services to help you transition to college-level work, in partnership with MATC:

Community-Based Organization Network

A network of more than 35 community-based programs provides basic skills instruction from the 0-12 grade level. MATC faculty provide English language instruction, native language literacy for Hmong/Lao and Spanish speakers, bilingual content instruction, GED assistance, and family literacy. These programs are located in many of the city's neighborhoods. For more information, call Dr. Brown at (414) 297-8661.


Benedict Center
135 W. Wells Street
Suite 700
Milwaukee, WI 53203
Contact: 414-347-1774

Dominican Center for Women
2470 W. Locust Street
Milwaukee, WI 53205
Contact: 414-444-9930

Hillside Learning Center
1452 N. 7th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53205
Contact: 414-224-7239

Hope House
209 W. Orchard Street
Milwaukee, WI 53204
Contact: 414-645-2122

House of Correction
8885 South 68th Street
Franklin, WI 53132
Contact: 414-297-7993

Innovative Educational Solutions
2821 N. 4th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53212
Contact: 414-269-9820

International Learning Center
639 N. 25 St.
Milwaukee, WI 53233
Contact: 414-344-4777

Journey House
2110 West Scott Street
Milwaukee, WI 53204
Contact: 414-389-5080 ext. 2225

Literacy Services of Wisconsin
5566 N. 69th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53218
Contact: 414-755-1995

Milwaukee Careers Cooperative
3505 W. Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53209
Contact: 414-937-8260 ext. 23

Milwaukee Urban League
435 W. North Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53212
Contact: 414-374-5850

Hanan Refugee Relief Group
3927 S. Howell Ave Suite 103
Milwaukee WI 53207
Contact: 414-213-3607

Northcott Neighborhood House
2460 N. 6th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53212
Contact: 414-372-3770

Salvation Army
324 North Jackson Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Contact: 414-276-4316

Silver Spring Neighborhood Center
5460 N. 64th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53218
Contact: 414-463-7950 ext. 71

Social Development Commission
1730 W North Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53205
Contact: 414-906-2700

Centro Hispanol-Spanish Center
MATC - Walker's Point
614 National Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53204
Contact: 414-928-1600

Tabernacle Baptist Church
2500 W. Medford Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53206
Contact: 414-562-1129

The Adult Learning Center
1916 North 4 Street
Milwaukee, WI 53208

UMOS - South
2701 S. Chase
Milwaukee, WI 53207
Contact: 414-389-6260

Vieau School
823 S. 4th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53204
Contact: 414-902-6100

Wisconsin Community Services
414 W. Moreland Blvd.
Waukesha, WI 53188
Contact: 262-544-4600

Wisconsin Hispanic Scholarship Foundation
2997 S. 20th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53215
Contact: 414-383-7066 Ext. 405

Word of Hope Ministries Inc.
2677 N. 40th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53210
Contact: 414-447-1965

YWCA-Community Lab
1915 N. Dr MLK Jr. Drive
Milwaukee, WI 53212
Contact: 414-374-1800

Earning an HSED

To earn a High School Equivalency Diploma, complete all of the steps above for the GED certificate, plus:

  1. Complete a health requirement by either passing a test, completing half of a credit in health while in high school, or completing an MATC Adult High School health course.
  2. Complete MATC's Employability Skills course.

There are four other methods of earning a High School Equivalency Diploma.

One of the HSED options is the HSED 5.09 program.

Please call 414-297-7471 for information about these options.

For more information, visit the State of Wisconsin GED/HSED website:

Call to schedule an appointment to take the GED/HSED exams at an MATC campus. To test, you must have a DPI form that shows you have completed the Academic Screening and the CAREER-750 workshop.

If you started testing in another state or region of Wisconsin, you need an official transcript for MATC's Testing Center.

For Transcripts contact:
Downtown Milwaukee Campus: 414-297-6233 
Mequon Campus: 262-238-2200
Oak Creek Campus: 414-571-4711
West Allis Campus: 414-456-5492 


GED testing centers are located at the Downtown Milwaukee, Mequon, Oak Creek and West Allis campuses.

At the Downtown Milwaukee Campus, GED testing is conducted in Room S215 in the Student Center.
For other campus locations call:
Mequon Campus, 262-238-2326
Oak Creek Campus, 414-571-4711
West Allis Campus, 414-456-5492


View/print the program card:  
English: front (jpg) | back (jpg)
Español: frente (jpg) | dorso (jpg)

Need More Info?

Visit the National GED site at .


MATC also offers the opportunity to earn your GED or HSED through partner organizations in the community. Contact any one of these organizations to get started!

Community Partner Address City, State and ZIP Code Phone Number