High School Completion

instructor helping student in lab

MATC offers multiple paths to completing high school: Wisconsin's only Adult High School,GED and HSED programs and our Emerging Scholars partnership with Milwaukee Public Schools.

Wondering what option is right for you or someone you care about? Use this chart! 

Adult High School (link) GED (link) HSED 5.09 (link)
Best for: Students close to graduation or who prefer a more traditional high school-like environment Students who are comfortable with and perform well on timed tests Students who want to show what they learn in a classroom setting
Timing: Eight-week classes — and time to complete depends on how many high school credits you have already earned Typically one to two semesters of preparation prior to taking five tests to earn a nationally-approved diploma Typically one semester to two semesters to earn a state-approved diploma
Contact for questions:

Elaine Hines





Downtown Milwaukee Campus - Room S203

Holly Thielen



Total required credits vary by program and are defined on each program page. Programs requiring over 60 credits are usually the result of specialized accreditation or WTCS general education requirements.


  • English as a Second Language classes for those who need to learn English or improve their English-language skills.
  • The Office of Bilingual Education works with students whose first language is not English and with students who are fluent in English and Spanish or Hmong. We offer courses to help students improve their English skills and obtain their GED certificate in Spanish. We also offer bilingual occupational programs and transitional assistance into bilingual college-level degree and diploma programs.
  • Bridge to Pathway Programs
    Bridge programs offer an opportunity for students to enroll in Program courses with academic
    support while enrolled in Adult High School or GED courses.
  • MATC Emerging Scholars serves Milwaukee Public Schools students who are at-risk of graduating high school and are seeking an alternative option to obtain an MPS high school diploma.