Stormer Pass

A student ID and so much more!

Your Stormer Pass gives you access to:

  • Campus Cash (Use in the Campus Café, Stormer Cafes and vending machines at each campus)
  • Library (Check-out privileges at four campus libraries)
  • Pay for prints and copies in MATC libraries, academic support centers and computer labs
  • Athletic facilities (Downtown Milwaukee Campus only)
  • Parking discounts (Downtown Milwaukee Campus only)
  • Student Union
  • Registration for upcoming semesters
  • Selling books back to MATC bookstore

Don't Have a Stormer Pass?

The Student Life Office's Online Photo Submission tool is a convenient tool to provide you with the ability to submit a Stormer Pass Student ID photo online. You will avoid long lines and wasting time by uploading a passport style picture from the comfort of your home.

We'll need a recent color photo with a plain, neutral background (light blue, white, off-white, cream, beige, etc.).

  • The photo must be a photo of you
  • Face and hair should be clearly visible, with your face centered and facing forward. No hats, please.
  • Your eyes should be clearly visible. Wear prescription glasses if you normally do so, but do not wear sunglasses. 
  • A natural smile or neutral facial expression is best.
  • Use proper lighting and avoid too dark or very bright photos.
  • Crop the photo from just above your head to your collarbone.
  • Save the photo in .jpg format.


To access the Online Photo Submission tool, please follow the following steps:

  1. Login to MATC eAccounts with your MATC Network Login
  2. Click on the ‘Profile’ link
  3. Next to the photo, click on ‘Click to submit a new photo’
  4. Cloud Card will then instruct you to submit a photo and Government Issued ID
  5. After your photo is approved, you will receive an email with the next steps to pick up your Stormer Pass from a Student Life/Stormer Pass Office. If you have any question or concerns please email


Need to Add Money to Your Stormer Pass?

There are two ways to add Campus Cash to your Stormer Pass.

  • Use the Account Management Centers (AMC's) located throughout each campus.  Remember to print receipt for your records.
  • Use E-Accounts option (online card office) Login to MATC eAccounts

Your funds will be deposited in U.S. currency to your Campus Cash account when you submit your transaction as long as it is completed prior to 9 p.m.

Refund Procedure

MATC will refund the Campus Cash Account remaining greater than $5 balance. For balances of $5 or less, the balance must be used for on-campus purchases. Refund requests should be processed at the Student Life Office or the Stormer Pass station on campus. The request will be processed within 15 days of the Business Office receiving the request. All refunds will be processed according to MATC policy.

Lost or Stolen Stormer Pass?

  • Report lost or stolen cards to the Stormer Pass Office or Stormer Pass Station at each campus during normal business hours.
  • The account holder is liable for any unauthorized charges that may occur to lost or stolen cards.
  • After normal business hours, report a lost or stolen card by e-mail at If you give notice of a lost or stolen card by telephone, you must confirm this in writing within 48 hours, to the Stormer Pass Office/Station.
  • Lost or stolen card can be reported by using the E-Accounts Site: Login to MATC eAccounts.
  • Please go to the cashier to pay the non-refundable $10 replacement fee.  Bring the receipt and photo identification to the Stormer Pass Office for new student card.  
  • A new photo will be taken to receive the replacement Stormer Pass.

What if my card is nearing the expiration date printed on the back?

Please trade your Stormer Pass in that is expiring at the Stormer Pass Office to get a new card. If you do not trade it in, it will be treated as a lost or stolen card and students will be responsible for the replacement fee.  A new photo will be taken to receive the replacement Stormer Pass.

You will not need to renew or update your card if you continue to take more than one MATC credit. The card fee paid each semester is a non-refundable activation fee. If you take one or fewer credits, you must pay the card reactivation fee at the cashier each semester. The activation fee paid does not entitle you to a new card or new photo.


Location: S Building, S203C

Please see our regular business hours and locations here. During the semester, regular business hours are subject to change due to meetings and/or Student Life events. Please call or email Student Life if you wish to visit to confirm hours or to make an appointment during or after regular business hours.

For more information about the Stormer Pass, please call 414-297-7859 or email the Student Life Office at