Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

MATC is committed to student success during this challenging time. As a college community, we are all in this together. Please see the updates and answers to frequently-asked questions (FAQs) below for the latest information. If you don't see the answers you need, click 'ask a question' at right (desktop) or below (mobile). Additional resources and past updates can be found in the right-hand menu, or at the bottom of the page if you’re using a mobile device.

Updates from MATC  

para Español, visite Coronavirus información - Español

For Sign Language, visit Coronavirus Information - Sign Language


Updated May 15, 2020 


  • Students enrolled in MATC programs can register for summer and fall now using Self Service! MATC students who are not enrolled in a program can register through INFOnline.
  • Not an MATC student? Apply now or sign up to just take a class!


MATC is pleased to announce that in accordance with guidance from state health officials, a limited number of faculty, students and employees connected to the Police Academy program will be returning to MATC’s Oak Creek Campus for face-to-face instruction beginning Monday, May 18. 

This will be followed in late May and early June with limited in-person instruction for courses that could not be completed in the Spring semester in programs serving essential industries. Students and faculty in these courses will be notified directly with further instructions. 

Access to MATC Campuses 

  • Until further notice, MATC campuses remain closed to the general public and campus access will continue to be limited only to essential employees and students in specific courses. 
  • Access to campuses will take place through a gradual and limited approach.
  • Limited in-person courses will occur at the Oak Creek Campus, Downtown Milwaukee Campus, and the Health Education Center (HEC). West Allis and Mequon campuses will not be open for face-to-face instruction this summer.
  • MATC is planning to grow the percentage of classes that will be online in Fall 2020. 
  • In-person classes for hands-on programs that require face-to-face instruction will be offered in Fall 2020, if health officials believe it is safe and healthy to do so.

Limited Campus Access Plan 

  • Employees and students will be required to use appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE). 
  • The college has implemented other risk mitigation strategies such as social distancing, enhanced cleaning protocols, and campus access point health and temperature screenings. 
  • Returning employees, faculty, and students will be required to complete training and agree to comply with safety protocols. 
  • These risk mitigation strategies will be continually reassessed and adjusted based on guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other state and local public health agencies.


  • MATC moved courses to online delivery wherever possible as of Monday, April 13.
  • Summer classes will begin in online formats on Sunday, June 7.
  • The college is prioritizing face-to-face instruction for Spring 2020 course completion in essential industries as defined by the State of Wisconsin. Other considerations include community needs and supporting students nearing program completion. 
  • MATC is planning to grow the percentage of classes that will be online in Fall 2020. 
  • In-person classes for hands-on programs that require face-to-face instruction will be offered in Fall 2020, if health officials believe it is safe and healthy to do so.


  • All MATC campuses remain physically closed until further notice. Only essential employees and limited face-to-face classes are permitted on campus, as described in the special note above.



How do I know if I’m permitted to be on campus?

  • MATC is notifying employees, faculty, and students that are permitted to access campus directly with instructions.
  • For employees working remotely, remote access instructions are available on myMATC.

Can I visit campus to retrieve something I left behind?

  • The Public Safety Department and the Operations Department have developed the following procedure for non-essential employees who need to retrieve items from their work area. Before you can access the campus, make arrangements via email to which includes: employee’s name, employee’s home/cell phone number, employee’s email address, campus and room or office you need to access, desired dates and times for access, as well as items to be retrieved. A member of the Operations team will contact you within 24 hours (excluding weekends) to coordinate a date and time to access the campus you requested. 

Is childcare still available?

  • Childcare services are no longer available until further notice.


Are summer classes happening?

  • Summer classes will begin in online formats on Sunday, June 7.
  • The college is prioritizing face-to-face instruction for Spring 2020 course completion in essential industries as defined by the State of Wisconsin. Other considerations include community needs and supporting students nearing program completion.

When can I register for summer and fall?

  • Students enrolled in MATC programs can register for summer and fall now using Self Service! MATC students who are not enrolled in a program can register through INFOnline.
  • Not an MATC student? Apply now or sign up to just take a class!
  • Priority registration for Summer and Fall 2020 began: 
    • Monday, April 20: For veteran, continuing program students 
    • Tuesday, April 21: For all continuing program students
  • Open registration for Summer and Fall 2020 will now begin: 
    • Friday, April 24: Non-program / New veteran students
    • Monday, April 27: Open registration for all students 

Do I need to complete COMPUB-798 to register for an online course?

  • In order to streamline the enrollment process for online courses, students no longer have to complete COMPUB-798 to register for their first online course. Online course readiness will continue to be a priority and will be offered in other ways. 

What if I need to complete a spring 2020 course graded as incomplete? How can I finish it?

  • A grade of Incomplete (I) may be assigned if the instructor and student both sign an Incomplete Agreement. A grade of Incomplete (I) is a temporary grade and will automatically become an Unsatisfactory (U) at the end of Fall 2020 if required course work is not completed. However, this timeline may be extended on a case-by-case basis at the recommendation of the instructor. 
  • Please note:
    • Extensions of this nature may have an impact on financial aid and/or Veteran Satisfactory Academic Progress. 
    • If you are a financial aid recipient, you will need to contact an advisor in order to submit a financial aid appeal with supporting documentation. 
    • If you are a military veteran student, you will need to contact your advisor as well. 

Are there new grading options available to help students deal with the impact of COVID-19?

  • MATC is offering new options to students for grading in response to the impact of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
  • Just like a typical semester, every student will be assigned a letter grade for each course in Spring 2020. However, due to COVID-19, MATC is allowing a one-time opportunity for students to convert their A - U letter grades to Pass (P), Low Pass (LP) or No Pass (NP) this semester: 
    • Pass (P): Students who receive a C or better are eligible to convert to a Pass (P) grade for the course, unless the programs or courses do not allow pass/no pass grading due to program accreditation standards or other external requirements. Students can contact their instructor with questions.
    • Low Pass (LP): Students who receive a C-, D+, D, or D- are eligible to convert to Low Pass (LP). 
    • No Pass (NP): Students who receive a Unsatisfactory (U) are eligible to convert to a No Pass (NP) grade.
  • Students converting to Pass (P) or Low Pass (LP) grades will receive credit for the course and it will count toward their academic progress and completion of the academic program. These grades do not impact the Grade Point Average (GPA). No Pass (NP) grades will not result in credit for the course, but will not impact GPA. 
  • Students will be allowed to change their letter grade to the Pass / Low Pass / No Pass grade between receipt of final grades and September 4, 2020. This date is subject to an extension. This option will become available only after you receive your final grade. Instructions for how to request this change will be available at that time. 
  • Before opting for Pass / Low Pass / No Pass, students should talk with their instructors and/or their advisor to ensure this is their best option. 


Will I get a refund for my class if I withdraw due to the COVID-19 outbreak?

For the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester, the college transitioned all classes to online delivery format where appropriate and whenever possible. MATC’s goal is to continue to provide safe and high-quality education in an accessible way so students can complete coursework.

Instructors have been contacting each student with a plan for course completion. The following guidelines apply for refunds: 

  • For classes that were continued in an online format, no refund will be issued.  
  • If a student elected to discontinue the course, the student was permitted to file an appeal for a refund through the normal college process. Students had until May 8, 2020 to submit an appeal. Appeals are being reviewed on a case-by-case basis.  
  • If you are a Financial Aid recipient, withdrawing from a class may negatively impact your financial aid. Please reach out to a Financial Aid advisor prior to making the decision by emailing
  • If MATC cancelled a course that had not yet started, the student was issued a full refund.

What is happening with financial aid, refunds and other checks? What is the refund date? 

  • Financial aid refunds are going out as scheduled. There are no interruptions with refunds. Refunds were processed for distribution on April 1, 2020. Funds will be sent to Bank Mobile cards. Please disregard any previous dates shared.

In what order are refunds processed?

  • Funds are processed by the date students were “packaged.”  Students are “packaged” after verification is completed, after loan counseling and master promissory note (MPN) are completed. 

What if I don’t have a BankMobile card to get my refund?

  • If you do not have a BankMobile card, log into BankMobile to select an alternate refund preference such as their personal bank account. Once the refund is sent to BankMobile, the student needs to work with BankMobile to have a card issued.  

Is the financial aid office still open?

  • Although the campus is closed due to COVID-19 precautions to the public, the Financial Aid team is still available to assist students remotely with questions or concerns. Students can email financial aid at A team member will respond within 48 hours. 

Since campuses are closed, will my financial aid still be processed?

  • Yes, the Financial Aid team is working remotely and administering all normal financial aid processes. If a student is awaiting financial aid, our team is working to award and disburse aid. We encourage students to monitor their account in self-service.

Will financial aid processing be delayed due to COVID-19?

  • No, all processes are operating under normal timelines.

Will Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for financial aid change due to COVID-19?

  • We are awaiting additional guidance from the Department of Education to answer this question. As outlined by the Department of Education, SAP must be measured at the end of the term. On March 5, 2020, the Department of Education shared some flexibility to schools due to COVID-19. This guidance allows students negatively impacted by COVID-19 academically to complete appeals under this pandemic. The Financial Aid team will work with each student on a case-by-case basis to minimize any disruption to financial aid eligibility. 

How do I submit my documents for financial aid?

  • Students are highly encouraged to submit documents electronically via email to Students may submit documents via fax at 414-297-6466 or postal mail to:

Financial Aid
700 W. State Street
Milwaukee, WI 53233

Does COVID-19 impact summer financial aid?

  • No, the Financial Aid team continues to process student accounts as in previous years. Summer financial aid is based on remaining Direct Loan and Pell grant eligibility.
  • If you would like to request additional loan funds, please log into Self Service, use the left side dropdown menu and click on Financial Information, Financial Aid, and Request a Summer Loan.

Since the campus is closed due to COVID-19, how do I get assistance completing the FAFSA?

  • Although the Financial Aid team is unable to assist in person, there are resources available to assist students who have questions. As students are completing the application online, the Federal Student Aid Information Center at will answer most questions. Students can contact the FAFSA Customer Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 for assistance. Students may also send questions to and someone from the Financial Aid team will respond within 48 hours. 


What’s happening with the graduation ceremony (commencement) in May?

  • We know this is very disappointing to all involved, but MATC decided to cancel the May 15 in-person graduation ceremony for the health and safety of all involved. Graduating students will be invited to participate in the December commencement to celebrate their achievements.
  • May graduation deposits will be refunded. Students who have not yet applied but want to participate in Winter Commencement have until October 31 to apply for graduation.
  • The college continues to work with faculty and students to support completion of certificates, degrees and diplomas. The college still intends to send diplomas when students complete their programs as we typically would.


Is MATC still processing admission applications?

  • Yes! We are excited to welcome new students and are processing applications every weekday. Our admissions team is working remotely to serve you! If you have questions, please send them to

What is happening with the petitioning process for programs?

  • Students who have petitioned to enter a program will be notified by March 31 as scheduled. A team is meeting to ensure that petition letters are sent soon. Students with specific questions should contact Rosy Lopez.


MATC is working on remote testing options and plans to launch this service May 11. In the meantime, any questions related to testing services / GED testing for any of the campuses can be sent by email to or by phone at 414-297-6233.


Is the IT Helpdesk still available?

  • MATC information technology staff continues to provide support to students and employees with technology questions through the MATC Help Desk. To receive the fastest response, please email

I’m a current student but I don’t have a laptop at home to take classes online. Where can I get assistance with technology?

When will I receive a Chromebook if I have already applied for one?

  • The team in our bookstore is hard at work processing Chromebook applications, and shipping Chromebooks directly to students. Please be patient as they work through a large volume of requests. 
  • Students who qualified for a Chromebook will receive a call from the bookstore’s Emergency Technology team to verify their shipping information, followed by an email from the MATC bookstore with details on the delivery process. Shipping notices will be emailed directly from FedEx to the student’s MATC email address. It may take several days for the FedEx website to show the estimated delivery date.  

How do I use my Chromebook once I receive it?

How can I obtain internet access at home if I don’t already have it?

  • Several companies are offering free internet access. Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription, at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
  • Additional free or low-cost offers from internet service providers can be found on the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin website. This website also includes a map of public Wi-Fi locations in Wisconsin.   

Where can I find help using Blackboard?

  • If you are a student, please view this Blackboard Support tutorial for help using Blackboard to access your classes online.
  • If you are a faculty member, please visit the Faculty Blackboard Support page for tutorials and training resources. 


Will employees and student workers be paid?

Pay to all employees will continue as it would have before the “Safer At Home” order through either the end of the semester or the end of this fiscal year, June 30, 2020. This includes employees who are 100% grant funded. Part-time employees should enter hours for their typical work week. Part-time faculty will not need to submit timesheets and will be paid based upon their load. This includes student workers and work study students. The college will ensure that they are paid for hours typically worked.

How does Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) affect leave for employees?

  • The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) is new federal legislation which may apply to those employees who are unavailable to work (remotely or as an essential employee) as a result of a qualifying COVID-19 reason. 
  • FFCRA provides expanded Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave and emergency paid sick leave. The law is in effect from April 1-December 31. Please visit the Department of Labor's to see a summary of these leaves.
  • For additional information regarding leave under the FFCRA, please contact Rebecca Wincell, Manager - Benefits at
  • Please be reminded that our existing FMLA leave policy and other college leave policies still apply to all other leave beyond that covered by the FFCRA.

What if I have lost a job due to COVID-19?

  • The MATC JOBshop has compiled a list of immediate employment opportunities for students. Visit JOBshop: Employment Resources and scroll down to Employment Resources for Students.
  • The State of Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development has expanded unemployment benefits available. The requirement to search for work has been waived during the COVID-19 pandemic. You can apply online for unemployment benefits. 


What emergency resources are available for students?

  • During this emergency situation, the MATC’s Dreamkeeper Emergency Grant Assistance program is available to provide small grants (usually less than $500) to eligible students who are experiencing unexpected loss of income, health expenses, and other emergency needs. For more information, go to the Dreamkeepers application page.
  • To make a gift to this fund, please go to and select Dreamkeepers Emergency Assistance Fund.

What resources will be available to students from the CARES Act? 

  • MATC will receive $8.5 million through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act: Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF)
  • The act requires that at least 50% of a college’s award go directly to students. Knowing that our student body is often underserved, MATC has dedicated more than required  and 75% of these funds will be used to provide direct emergency aid to eligible students. The remaining 25% will fund the college’s COVID-related costs necessary to respond to the crisis, deliver online instruction, and ensure a safe campus for students and employees.  

Additional information about the application process and the college’s use of CARES Act funds is available here.

I am very stressed about this situation. Where can I get help?

Student Counseling Resources

The college now has a team of three licensed professional counselors (LPCs) available in the Student Resource Center - Carlos Aranda, Kate Cunningham, and Christine Litwin. To reach the counselors, email

If you are in crisis and need immediate assistance, please call 911, or contact the following: 

  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
  • Milwaukee County Crisis Services: 414-257-7222
  • COPE Hotline--Ozaukee County crisis and supportive listening line: 262-377-2673
  • Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255
  • Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741

Other resources in Milwaukee and Ozaukee Counties:

  • IMPACT 211 - Housing, shelter, mental health, and other support resources:  211
  • Sojourner Family Peace Center--Shelter & resources for victims of domestic abuse:  414-933-2722 
  • Advocates of Ozaukee - Shelter & resources for victims of domestic abuse: 262-284-3577
  • Family Sharing of Ozaukee - Food Pantry and Retail items: 262-284-3577
  • Local K-12 school districts may be providing free meals to area children. Information on MPS schools offering free meals can be found here. 


How can I help limit the spread of COVID 19?

General prevention tips include:

  • Respiratory Etiquette: Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw it in the trash can.
  • Hand Hygiene: Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 60%-95% alcohol.
  • Environmental Health Action: Routinely clean frequently touched surfaces and objects.

What should I do if I am concerned that I have been exposed to COVID-19?

  • According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), if you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop a fever and symptoms of respiratory illness, such as cough or difficulty breathing, call your healthcare provider immediately.

Where can I learn more information about COVID-19?