Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ for the Ombuds Office

Q: What is an ombuds?  (Pronunciation: om-budz)

A: Ombuds is the shortened, generally Americanized form of the Swedish terms “ombudsman” or “ombudsperson.”  The term “ombuds” refers to the professional office and staff that provide problem-solving and conflict management resources and services at MATC.

Q: Where is the Office of the Ombudsperson?

A: The office is located on the Downtown Milwaukee Campus in the M Building, Room M358.

Q: What happens when I call or complete an Ombuds Inquiry Form?

A: Students will be contacted within 24-48 hours to speak with the ombuds. The ombuds may ask questions to gain insight to determine if the office can assist or schedule an appointment. Appointments are usually one hour in length. Some situations will require more than one appointment to properly resolve.

View the Ombuds Process Flow here.

Q: Will the ombuds make the decision on how I need to handle my situation or problem?

A: No, the ombuds role is to listen, guide, coach, clarify, facilitate, educate and empower students to help them in their decision-making or to advocate on their own behalf. The ombuds will help to identify paths, but visitors select their own path to resolution. 

Q: Is the Office of the Ombudsperson a place to make an official report to the college?

A: Discussions with the ombuds are “off the record” and do not constitute as formal notice to MATC. The ombuds is not authorized to accept notice of claims against the college. If you have a formal complaint and want to pursue a formal remedy, the ombuds can refer you to the appropriate office or help identify other possible options.

Q:  Does the ombuds take action based on anonymous complaints?

A: No, since the ombuds cannot determine what course of action to take without discussing the situation with the student involved. Additionally, given the confidential practice of the Office of the Ombudsperson, there is no need for anonymity.

Q: What happens to information provided to the Office of the Ombudsperson?

A: As a standard practice, the Office of the Ombudsperson does not keep any permanent records of confidential communications and does not retain any information that would potentially identify visitors to the office.

Q: What if the informal process does not work for me in addressing my problem or issue?

A: Students can still pursue formal remedies after using ombuds’ services. The ombuds will inform students of the formal options available to them.