Types of Grants

Federal Grants

State Grants

Wisconsin Higher Education Grant (WHEG)
Provides assistance to Wisconsin residents enrolled at least half-time at colleges or universities based in Wisconsin. Awarded are based on financial need and eligibility cannot exceed ten semesters. The maximum award amount is established annually by the Higher Education Aids Board (HEAB).

Talent Incentive Program (TIP) GRANT
Provides grant assistance to the most financially needy and educationally disadvantaged Wisconsin resident students attending colleges and universities in the State of Wisconsin. First- time freshmen students are nominated for the TIP Grant by the school financial aid offices or by counselors of the Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Programs (WEOP). To continue to receive the TIP Grant, you must continue to show financial need. Eligibility cannot exceed ten semesters

Indian Student Assistance Grant
Awards under this program are made to Wisconsin residents who are at least 25% Native American and are undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in degree or certificate programs at University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Technical College, independent colleges and universities, tribal colleges, or proprietary institutions based in Wisconsin. Awards are based on financial need with a limit of ten semesters of eligibility. HEAB has an informal matching arrangement with grant funds awarded by the Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs and Wisconsin Tribal governments.

Minority Undergraduate Retention Grant
Awards under this program are made to Wisconsin resident minority undergraduates, excluding first year students, enrolled at least half-time in independent, tribal, or Wisconsin Technical College institutions. According to the statutes, a minority student is defined as a student who is either an African American; American Indian; Hispanic; or Southeast Asian from Laos, Cambodia, or Vietnam admitted to the U. S. after December 31, 1975. Awards are based on financial need with a maximum grant of $2,500 per year for up to eight semesters or twelve quarters. Apply with the Minority Retention Application 2019-20.

Hearing & Visually Handicapped Student Grant
The Handicapped Student Grant Program was established to provide funding for undergraduate Wisconsin residents, enrolled at in-state or eligible out-of-state public or independent institutions who show financial need and have a severe or profound hearing or visual impairment. Students are eligible to receive up to $1,800 per year for up to ten semesters.

Additional Information on State of Wisconsin Financial Aid Administered by HEAB