CNA Program

CNA Program


To become an entry-level bedside caregiver, you will learn basic nursing skills and procedures to assist others with their daily living activities and specialized care needs. This program can fulfill the Nursing Assistant training requirement for admission into MATC’s nursing programs.

High school students may be eligible for dual enrollment to earn college credits while in high school and have the opportunity for employment.

Your child could save thousands of dollars in college tuition by earning an MATC degree and transferring the credits to a four-year college or university. We have program-specific transfer agreements with many private colleges and universities and the University of Wisconsin System. Another smart option is MATC’s General Studies Transfer Certificate which allows for roughly a year’s worth of General Studies credits to seamlessly apply toward a bachelor’s degree. 

Want to help your child make the best choices for success and happiness in their future? Use the discussion tips below as a guide.

How can you be an engaged parent?

  • Take interest in your child’s hobbies and education.
  • Visit MATC and other college campuses.
  • Talk with current students or recent MATC or other college graduates.
  • Have your child job shadow a friend or relative to see what they do for a day.
  • Occasionally revisit the student’s interests.
  • Encourage volunteer opportunities.
  • Remember to focus on what your child wants to do. Treat them as an individual.
  • Have a conversation about careers and college. Children in their teen years often want to enjoy independence. Parents who give their children room to discover who they are — on their own terms — increase the likelihood for success.


  • Do you know what you want to study?
  • Do you desire large or small classes and campuses? Why?
  • Do you envision working with your hands or more with people?
  • Are you drawn more to learning through books and lectures or through hands-on practical experience?
  • Have you had the opportunity to visit both two- and four-year colleges to see what they’re like?
  • What financial resources do you have access to?

Why would I want to burden them with the worries of college coursework? My son/daughter should enjoy high school now.

  • College and career ready are huge buzz words. Allowing student opportunities to experience college rigor early helps prepare them to be “ready.”
  • Exploration in high school is safe and inexpensive. Students have college course options that can help them develop their future career plan.
  • If your son/daughter has already completed their graduation requirements, college coursework is a natural next step.

How is college coursework different from high school coursework?

  • Motivation, responsibility, initiative and follow through are required to be successful.
  • The content and expectations are ramped up. Students should be prepared to spend an extra 6 hours per week studying for these college level courses.
  • The course may be taught by a Technical College certified High School Instructor or an MATC faculty. Regardless who teaches, the course competencies are elevated and the student is expected to seek assistance. 

What are some indicators that my child is ready for college coursework?

  • Understands the increased expectations of college coursework.
  • Self-motivated, responsible, seeks challenges and is in good standing in high school.
  • Demonstration of success in Advanced Placement coursework or other high level coursework.
  • Has a defined interest in the content specific material of the course.

Who pays for the course?

  • In most cases the high school and/ or MATC cover the cost of the tuition, books and resources.
  • When students fail or drop course offerings, parents/guardians may be required to reimburse the high school district to cover the expenditures related to the course depending upon the course option pursued.

Who will my son/daughter be in class with?

  • Depending upon the course option chosen, students may be in course work at the high school with their peers or they may be at an MATC location with adult learners.
  • In some cases, MATC Instructors may not know that they have a high school student in their class.

How do we register for the courses?

  • Course registration is handled through your high school, Youth Apprenticeship Coordinator and MATC. One of these contacts will guide you through this process. 

 As a parent, how can I be informed of my son/daughter’s progression in coursework?

  • Reviewing the course syllabus with your child is the best means to determine progress.
  • In cases where the course is taught by high school instructors, parents can communicate with them.
  • When the course is taught by MATC faculty, students are treated equally and student performance can be shared with the student and parent, with a signed release.

How is this coursework recognized at the high school and at other academic institutions?

  • In some cases these credit options will be recognized as dual credit, awarding credit in both high school and college.
  • These credits will be recognized at MATC if you meet the grade requirements determined.
  • If you choose to attend outside of MATC, you will need to request that your MATC transcript be evaluated for credit at the college you plan to attend. It is up to the receiving institution how they take in credits.

What are grades based upon?

  • Grades are awarded based upon college level scales, which define student expectations.
  • The grade that students earn becomes a permanent part of the transcript. If grades are not passing, parent/guardians may be required to repay the sponsoring school district, depending upon the course option pursued. Also, some course options require a grade of “B” or higher.

Who is my contact person to initiate this process?

  • Your High School Counselor is the best person to answer questions or connect with the appropriate resources

Information Packet Link



Francis Wyne

Senior Specialist, Dual Enrollment


(Start College Now, Contracts, Transcripted Credit students)

Nichole Johnson

Senior Specialist, Dual Enrollment


(Start College Now, Contracts, Transcripted Credit students)

Lisa Christopherson

Administrative Assistant, High School Relations

(Transcripted credit and contract students)

Stefanie Patti

Coordinator, Dual Enrollment


(Transcripted Credit - Teachers/Credentialing/MOU)

Erin Cherney

Manager, High School Relations


(Contracts, CNA, Transcripted Credit, M3, Start College Now)

Jonathan Feld

Director, High School Relations & University Transfer


(Comprehensive school build-outs, Initiatives oversight)