Wednesday – August 24, 2016
Each Counseling, Advising and Career Planning Center offers crisis intervention, referrals and brief, supportive listening. All services are free, confidential and tailored to fit student needs. Faculty and staff are also encouraged to utilize the services. The counselors are available at each campus from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays (until 4 p.m. on Fridays) when classes are in session.
For assistance, visit or call:
• Downtown Milwaukee Campus, 414-297-6267
• Mequon Campus, 262-238-2300
• Oak Creek Campus, 414-571-4500
• West Allis Campus, 414-456-5500
Mental Wellness Guide
Whether you are right out of high school or returning to the classroom after years or decades, college is both exciting and challenging. At Milwaukee Area Technical College, we expect you to show up for classes and do your best to fulfill your academic and occupational goals. We expect you to make sure you’re getting enough rest, exercise and healthy food.
What we don’t expect is for you to do it alone. If you find yourself struggling with the subject matter in a particular class, you have many options. You can talk to your instructor, reach out to a classmate, or go to the Tutoring Center. If you are dealing with other issues – such as stress, depression, abuse, mental illness or are concerned about a classmate, family member or friend – you also have options.
This guide provides information on how to address your own or someone else’s mental health crisis. It also offers a brief description of stress, some coping strategies, a list of college and community resources, and websites with detailed information.
This guide was developed as part of a grant funded by the Charles E. Kubly Foundation.
- If you feel you are under a great deal of stress and anxiety, here are tips on how to cope with stress.
- Explore some options toward having better relationships with people in your life. Learn about strategies for building better relationships and coping with a breakup.
- Information on other topics that college students frequently deal with are also available.
- Ulifeline - www.ulifeline.org - The ULIFELINE link is for MENTAL HEALTH concerns of college students. It also links to MATC and our Counseling office.
- Mental Health Resources in Milwaukee County - http://www.milwaukee.gov/Mental_health_resources.pdf
- Crisis Services in Milwaukee County - http://county.milwaukee.gov/BehavioralHealthDivi7762/CrisisServices.htm
Reach Out for Help: Milwaukee Area Resource Agencies
Mental Health Association of Milwaukee County
IMPACT Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services
Milwaukee County Community Resource Hotline