Friday – October 19, 2018

IMPORTANT! Before you go to the embassy or consulate:  

You will have to pay a US $200 SEVIS fee before you can get an F1 visa. You can pay the fee by mail or online. The Department of Homeland Security has a website to help you understand this fee:

Instructions on how to pay the SEVIS fee:

Fill out the form I-901. There are two ways to do this:

  1. Fill out the I-901 and pay online with a major credit card. You will be able to print out an I-901 receipt immediately, and the DHS will mail you a printed receipt.
  2. Print, fill out, and mail the form I-901 with a check or money order payable to "I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee."

 Mail the I-901 and check or money order to:

  1. I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
    P.O. Box 970020
    St. Louis, MO 63197-0020
  2. Courier the Form I-901 and payment to:
    I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor Processing Fee
    1005 Convention Plaza
    St. Louis, MO 63101

 The DHS will mail you a printed receipt once it is received. Please be advised that it may take up to four weeks to receive your receipt by mail.

You will not be able to obtain your visa unless you have the I-901 SEVIS Fee receipt with you.

When you arrive at the embassy, You will need to have several things with you:

  1. A completed application for non-immigrant visa (form DS-0156). This document can be found at  You may do a hard copy or an e-copy. Please note: some U.S. Embassies and Consulates require additional or supplementary application forms. Please check with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate you plan to visit. Also, Even though form DS-0156 is available in other languages, we suggest that you use the ENGLISH version of the form. After all, you will be studying in English!
  2. Your I-20 form from Milwaukee Area Technical College
  3. Your letter of admission to Milwaukee Area Technical College
  4. Your I-901 SEVIS fee payment receipt
  5. Financial certificates, bank letters, proof of financial support for your studies in the United States
  6. Evidence that you intend to return to your home country following your studies in the United States. Appropriate evidence could include offers of employment following your studies, marriage certificate showing that you are leaving a husband or wife behind, land or property deeds showing that you own property in your home country.