Friday – August 17, 2018
If your first language is not English or if you are fluent in two languages, MATC offers bilingual programs and services to help you reach your academic and personal goals. MATC can help you improve your English skills, obtain your GED in Spanish, enroll in a degree or diploma program and more. Bilingual services are offered at MATC campuses as well as community-based organizations.
The Office of Bilingual Education provides the following ongoing services to bilingual students:
• Test proctoring
• Admission screening
• Program information
• Financial aid information, advising and referral
• Counseling referrals
• Career exploration
• Registration assistance
• Student advocacy
• Case management
• Tutorial support
Classes and Programs
To meet employer and community needs of the growing Hispanic and Hmong populations within the Milwaukee area, MATC offers courses and programs taught in Spanish/Hmong and in English.
- Occupational English language acquisition courses are offered to help students acquire the English language skills needed to transition into bilingual diploma and certificate programs.
- Pre-college education classes assist students who are obtaining their GED in Spanish.
- Bilingual courses are offered in business, health, liberal arts, childhood education and other areas.
For a listing of bilingual classes offered this semester, please visit INFOnline. Bilingual associate degree, technical diploma and certificate programs are available.
The list of bilingual programs includes:
- Barber (apprenticeship)
- Cosmetologist (apprenticeship)
- Child Care Services technical diploma
- Dental Assistant technical diploma
- Early Childhood Education associate degree
- Nursing Assistant technical diploma
- Preschool certificate
The college's Office of Bilingual Education is located in Room M224 at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus. Call 414-297-8882.
- Becky Carrillo-Michels, Specialist: email@example.com or 414-297-7801
- For GED exams (In Spanish): Diana Luna, 414-297-8474 (M428)