Wednesday – May 24, 2017
If your first language is not English or if you are fluent in two languages, MATC offers bilingual programs and services to help you reach your academic and personal goals. MATC can help you improve your English skills, obtain your GED in Spanish, enroll in a degree or diploma program and more. Bilingual services are also available to students with migrant backgrounds. Bilingual services are offered at MATC campuses as well as community-based organizations.
The Office of Bilingual Education provides the following ongoing services to bilingual students:
- Test proctoring
- Admission to MATC (fee waivers)
- Career exploration
- Bilingual Accuplacer sessions/admissions testing
- Scheduling/registration assistance
- Certificate, diploma and associate degree program information
- Financial aid advising including tribal financial aid
- Information on translation and evaluation of school transcripts from foreign countries
- Counseling referrals
- Liaison between instructors and students
- Academic and tutorial supports in and out of the classroom
- Case management
- Employment advising
- Student advocacy
- GED (General Educational Development)/Spanish
Classes and Programs
To meet employer and community needs of the growing Hispanic and Hmong populations within the Milwaukee area, MATC offers courses and programs taught in Spanish/Hmong and in English.
- Occupational English language acquisition courses are offered to help students acquire the English language skills needed to transition into bilingual diploma and certificate programs.
- Pre-college education classes assist students who are obtaining their GED in Spanish.
- Bilingual courses are offered in business, health, liberal arts, childhood education and other areas.
For a listing of bilingual classes offered this semester, please visit INFOnline. Bilingual associate degree, technical diploma and certificate programs are available.
The growing list of bilingual programs includes:
- Barber (apprenticeship)
- Cosmetologist (apprenticeship)
- Child Care Services technical diploma
- Dental Assistant technical diploma
- Early Childhood Education associate degree
- Nursing Assistant technical diploma
- Preschool certificate
The college's Office of Bilingual Education is located in Room M224 at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus.
To learn more about these services, contact the following Bilingual Office staff: