Tuesday – June 30, 2015


Four MATC Campus Locations

Public Safety - Sustaining the Best Possible Environment for Learning

Emergency Number - 414-297-6200

Non-Emergency Number - 414-297-6588

Our Public Safety Department works to create and maintain a safe campus environment for students, employees and visitors. The department has districtwide responsibilities at all four campuses and the evening centers.

Follow these links for important campus security information:
Administration and Command Staff
Hours of Operation
Tip Line
College Closing
Campus Parking Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Daily Crime Log

Campus Information

Local Police Departments
Campus Security and Crime Statistics Reports
Clery Act Compliance 
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Sex Offender Registry

Hours of Operation

All campuses are monitored 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year. The campuses are staffed by Officers throughout the day and evening. Times vary based on the specific campus needs.

back to top

Contact Us

Public Safety Office - Downtown Milwaukee Campus
700 West State Street
Room M274
Staffed: 24/7/365
Emergency: 414-297-6200
Non-emergency: 414-297-6588

back to top

Administration and Command Staff

The Department of Public Safety has a Director of Public Safety, Deputy Director, Lieutenants, Sergeants, Public Safety Officers and Student Assistants.

Director of Public Safety - Aisha Barkow
700 West State Street
Milwaukee WI 53233

Lieutenant Karl Robbins, 1st shift Lieutenant (7 a.m.-3 p.m.)
(414) 297-6516

Lieutenant Gary Meyer, 2nd shift Lieutenant (3-11 p.m.)
(414) 297-6515

Lieutenant Karina Taylor, 3rd shift Lieutenant (11 p.m.-7 a.m.)
(414) 297-8425

Tip Line

The Department of Public Safety offers a "tip line" to report suspicious activity on campus. The department frequently checks this line and will address each call. Call 414-297-8477 with your tips and information.

If the situation demands an immediate response, contact the Emergency Response Center at 414-297-6588 (non-emergency number) or 414-297-6200 (emergency).

back to top

College Closing

MATC may close due to severe weather or other emergencies. The official closing announcement is broadcast via the Rave Alert System. The MATC Gmail system is the default contact for all MATC students and employees. Go to https://www.getrave.com/login/matc to enter additional contact information (alternate email address, telephone numbers, etc.).

You can also call 414-297-6561 for a recorded message about a possible closing.

back to top

Campus Parking Information

Downtown Milwaukee Campus
Mequon Campus
Oak Creek Campus
West Allis Campus

back to top

Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find the answer to your question, please contact us.

Where is Public Safety located?
Public Safety Office, Downtown Milwaukee Campus, Room M274
Public Safety District Administration, Room M276

Does Public Safety have a presence at the four MATC campuses?
Yes, we have Public Safety Officers assigned to each campus

How do I file a report on campus?
You may file a report by contacting the Public Safety Office (414-297-6588 Room M274) at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus, where dispatch will assign a Public Safety Officer to handle your report at any campus.

How do I locate a student?
The Public Safety Office can assist you if you have an emergency that can be verified.

When is MATC open?

  • Downtown Milwaukee Campus: Monday - Friday, 6 a.m. -10 p.m.; Saturdays, 6 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  • Mequon Campus: Monday -Thursday, 6:30 a.m. - 10 p.m.; Friday, 6:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.; Saturdays, 7:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
  • Oak Creek Campus: Monday -Friday, 7 a.m. -10:30 p.m.; Saturday, 7 a.m. - 1 p.m.
  • West Allis Campus: Monday - Thursday, 6 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.; Friday, 6 a.m. - 4 p.m. (until 9:30 p.m. when Weekend College is in session). Saturday, 7 a.m. - 4 p.m. (for Weekend College).

Note: Times listed are when classes are in session. Campuses are closed Sundays and holidays.

What do I do if I get sick or injured on campus?

Public Safety Officers are trained as medical emergency first responders. If more advanced care is needed, the dispatcher will contact 911.

Where is Lost and Found and how long do you hold the items?
Lost and Found is located at the Public Safety Office, Room M274. Items are kept for 30 days.

What do I do if I have car problems on campus?

Public Safety does not unlock vehicles or provide a "jump start." We can provide you with telephone access and numbers to local vehicle service centers that can assist you.

What if I get stuck in an elevator?
Stay calm and push the alarm button located on the panel. This will automatically call the Public Safety Office for immediate assistance. A Public Safety Officer will be dispatched to your location and, if necessary, Building Services and/or the elevator company will be called for further assistance.

What can I do to be proactive about campus safety?
MATC campuses are very safe, but no public area can be 100%, guaranteed completely safe at all times. It's best to use common sense no matter where you live, work or attend school. Especially when walking to your vehicle or bus stop, walk with a friend/classmate, use well-lit routes and be aware of your surroundings, utilize the MATC Escort Van, and report any suspicious activities to Public Safety.

Where can I smoke on campus?
All MATC campuses and facilities are tobacco free. The use of tobacco products is prohibited on MATC property.

How are students, employees and visitors notified if the campus is being evacuated?
On the extremely rare occurrence when an evacuation would be necessary, an announcement will be made over the campus-wide PA system. Listen carefully to the announcement. It will be repeated and will give you clear instructions. If you have any questions, ask your instructor for assistance. During an evacuation, leave the building in a calm, orderly manner and assist those who need help, if possible. If you are unable to assist, inform someone who can. Do not re-enter the building until told to do so by Public Safety or city police or fire personnel.

A message also may be sent using the college's Rave Alert System. Your MATC email is automatically entered into the system. If you would like to add other forms of contact (home phone, cell phone, alternate email address), go to https://www.getrave.com/login/matc

How do I find out if the campus is open during a snow storm?
Call our "Weather Phone" at 414-297-6561 for any school closings or tune to Milwaukee Public Television, Channel 10. For more information, see the School Closing section.

Do I need an MATC I.D. to enter the labs and library?
Yes, a current school year MATC Student ID is needed to access any campus services and should be carried at all times.

If I need to file a report with Public Safety, how do I get a copy?
Make a request in writing to the Director of Public Safety.

back to top

Local Police Departments

MATC Public Safety works closely with the respective police departments where campuses are located. The following links provide access to crime reports from each local police department:

Mequon Police Department

Milwaukee Police Department

Oak Creek Police Department

West Allis Police Department

Campus Security and Crime Statistics Reports

2014 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
MATC Crime Statistics 2011-2013

back to top

Clery Act Compliance

The Cleary Act's provisions are:

  • Schools must publish an annual report disclosing campus security policies and three years of selected crime statistics. (See above)
  • Schools must make timely warnings to the campus community about crimes that pose an ongoing threat to students and employees.
  • Each institution with a police or security department must have a public crime log.
    (See district daily reports at each campus Public Safety Office)
  • The United States Department of Education collects and disseminates the crime statistics.
  • Campus sexual assault victims are assured of certain basic rights.
  • Schools that fail to comply may be fined by the Department of Education.

Daily Crime Log

Daily Log File (pdf)



back to top


Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

For additional information or technical assistance regarding FERPA:
1-202-260-3887 (TDD, 1-800-877-8339)
Family Policy Compliance Office, United States Department of Education,
400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20202-5920

back to top

Sex Offender Registry

Milwaukee Area Technical College uses a state-run, public accessible website for information on registered sex offenders. The site is: http://offender.doc.state.wi.us/public/

MATC Public Safety has information available for review on individuals classified as Registered Sex Offenders.

back to top