Sunday – May 29, 2016
Free Assistance with Tax Returns Offered at MATC's Downtown Milwaukee and Oak Creek Campuses
Jan. 16, 2014
Taxpayers with a family income of $52,000 or less are eligible for free help preparing their basic personal income tax returns at Milwaukee Area Technical College’s Downtown Milwaukee Campus, 700 W. State St.; and Oak Creek Campus, 6665 S. Howell Ave. MATC accounting students provide the service in cooperation with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue and Internal Revenue Service Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) programs.
All returns are e-filed to ensure speed and accuracy. Now in its 32nd year at the Oak Creek Campus and its 12th year at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus, the program heightens awareness of Wisconsin’s Homestead Credit; federal and state education credits; and the Earned Income Credit, an often overlooked federal tax break for low-income working people who are raising children in their homes.
Downtown Milwaukee Campus Dates and Hours
Tax help will be offered Jan. 25 through April 15; on Tuesdays from 6-7:30 p.m.; and on Saturdays, 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. The first 20 clients will receive assistance Tuesdays and the first 30 clients will be served on Saturdays. Registration begins one hour before start time. Go to the Information Desk on the first floor of the Student Center, 700 W. State St. A Spanish translator will be available to provide assistance.
Oak Creek Campus Dates and Hours
Tax help will be offered Feb.1 through April 9, on Wednesdays from 4-7 p.m.; and on Saturdays, from 9 a.m.–noon. Go to Room A120 in the A Building.
Attendees should bring the following:
- wage and earnings statements (W-2 forms)
- bank interest statements (1099 forms)
- a copy of last year’s income tax return
- photo identification
- receipts for property taxes paid
- certificate for rent paid (signed by landlord)
- Social Security cards for you, spouses and dependents [all individuals to be listed on return]
- Social Security number or tax ID number for providers of child care
- other relevant information about earnings and expenses
- bank routing number and account number (a canceled check works best for checking to ensure correct deposit information)
Taxpayers filing a joint return must both be present when the returns are prepared, because both spouses must sign a joint tax return.
Student volunteers are trained by the Internal Revenue Service and supervised by MATC instructors. Guaranty Bank and U.S. Bank co-sponsor MATC’s VITA program. For more information, please call Bobbie Sherrod, (414) 297-8417, at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus; or Jim Benedum, (414) 571-4757, at the Oak Creek Campus.