Sunday – January 20, 2019
Practical Nursing LPN-RN Educational Progression
Downtown Milwaukee and Mequon campuses
If you are a Licensed Practical Nurse and desire to become a Registered Nurse, this program is for you. Your work experience may earn you advanced-standing credits, allowing you to obtain your degree more quickly. After successfully completing this program, you will be eligible to take the RN Licensure Exam (NCLEX-RN). This program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
Career Outlook: Employers will expect graduates to have a plan for completing their bachelor's degree in nursing. Some Bachelor of Science Nursing (BSN) courses may be taken concurrently with the associate degree courses. Contact your advisor for more information.
Career Pathway: Through this program, a LPN can prepare for a career as a Registered Nurse, followed by many choices for RN-BSN programs. Contact an MATC advisor for details.
Program Code: 10-543-10
Start Dates: August/January
Students are admitted through a petition process.
- High school diploma or GED.
- One year of high school (HS) biology and 1 year of HS chemistry OR 1 semester of college
biology and 1 semester of college chemistry.
- Demonstration of proficiency in basic skills through a course placement assessment.
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better.
- Active and unrestricted license as a Licensed Practical Nurse.
- All required science courses must be completed with a grade of B- or better.
- All required liberal arts and elective courses must be completed with a grade of C or
- Students may petition for nursing classes while enrolled in their final liberal arts and
- HESI LPN Progression Exam with a score of 900 or higher. To learn more about the HESI
LPN Progression exam, click the following link: https://sites.google.com/gmatc.matc.edu/exams.
- Each semester Petition Information Sessions are held to allow students to meet with counselors and Program representatives for guidance with the petition process. You will receive an invitation via your school email address for dates, times and locations.
- If you are accepted, you will receive additional information including health, drug screening and background check requirements using the CastleBranch portal. If you are not accepted, you will receive detailed information about which of the above criteria were not met. If you were not accepted due to program capacity, you will receive additional consideration if you petition during the next open window.
A criterion considered in the petition process is verification of student residency. Students selected via the petition process are chosen based on MATC district residency, then Wisconsin nondistrict residency, followed by nonresidents, unless otherwise stated.
Career Cluster: Health Sciences
Detailed Program Information
Interested in a Health Related Career at MATC?