Thursday – November 16, 2017
Applications for three positions on the Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC) District Board must be residents of the District and meet other necessary qualifications as set forth below.
With three-year terms expiring June 30, 2020, the following is a synopsis of the qualifications needed for the three appointments based on state statutes and MATC's District Plan of Representation as approved on March 22, 2016.
- Two members must represent an employer that employs 15 or more employees; one of which must be a manufacturer.
- One School District Administrator
- Two members must reside in Milwaukee County
An "Employer" is defined as a business entity operated for profit, a nonprofit organization that provides health care services, a credit union or cooperative association.
A "School District Administrator" must be employed by a school board or a school district located within the MATC district by s.115.01(3), Wis. Stats. You are considered an applicant in the School District Administrator category if you are a school district superintendent, supervising principal, or other person who acts as the administrative head of a school district and who holds an administrator's license.
In the appointment process, equal consideration is given to the general population distribution within the MATC District and the distribution of women and minorities. In addition, equal consideration is given to the distribution of minorities within the City of Milwaukee.
Applicants must complete and submit the required application form and submit at least two letters of reference supporting their nomination to the District Board, and attend a public hearing of the District Board Appointment Committee at which time they will be interviewed.
About the MATC District Board of Directors
The governing board of the Milwaukee Area Technical College District is made up of nine appointed members from geographical areas within the Milwaukee Area Technical College District. Members include:
- Five Persons Representing Employers:
- Three of these members shall represent employers with 15 or more employees
- Two of these members shall represent employers with 100 or more employees
- Two of these members shall represent employers that are manufacturers
- One member must be an Elected Official;
- One member must be a School District Administrator (not considered for gender purposes);
- Two Additional Members;
- At least three members must be women;
- At least three members must be minority;
- Two of the three minority members must reside in the City of Milwaukee
- Seven of the nine members must reside in Milwaukee County.
All candidates must meet four eligibility requirements for Wisconsin Technical College board membership. They must:
- Be residents of or employed in the WTCS district in which they are apply for membership.
- Submit a properly completed application/affidavit to the district board appointment committee within 14 days of publication of the Announcement of Intent.
- Attend a district board appointment committee public hearing in person and be interviewed.
- Have at least two letters of reference submitted supporting their candidacy.
Plan of Representation for Appointment of Board Members
Equal consideration is given to the general population distribution within the district and the distribution of women and minorities within the District. In addition, the plan must give equal consideration to the distribution of minorities within the City of Milwaukee.
At least two of the members from the City of Milwaukee must be minorities with a least three minority members overall; at least three members must be women and at least three members must be men, in each case excluding the school district administrator.
Note: All candidates are eligible to apply for and be considered in the Additional Member category.